How To Avoid Scams And Fraud
When Shopping For A Diesel Truck Online
Please report any scam attempts or
suspected fraudulent listings to us immediately by emailing us
at admin(at)dieseltraderonline.com - or you can go to our
flagging page to notify us as well. We appreciate your help
fighting these criminals!
These tips are taken directly from the
biggest free classified ad site in the world that deals with
fraudulent transactions on a daily basis - craigslist.org. Rather than try
and re-write the entire guide, we decided to take it directly from the
most experienced source and modify it for our users. If you would like to read the
actual page it was taken from on the craigslist site, please follow this link -
modified for the DieselTraderOnline.com users-
You can sidestep would-be scammers by following these common-sense
LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON - follow this one
simple rule and you will avoid 99% of the scam attempts on
- NEVER WIRE FUNDS VIA WESTERN UNION, MONEYGRAM
or any other wire service - anyone who asks you to do so is a
- FAKE CASHIER CHECKS & MONEY ORDERS ARE COMMON,
and BANKS WILL CASH THEM AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE
when the fake is discovered weeks later.
- DIESELTRADERONLINE.COM IS NOT INVOLVED IN ANY
TRANSACTION, and does not handle payments, guarantee
transactions, provide escrow services, or offer "buyer protection"
or "seller certification"
- NEVER GIVE OUT FINANCIAL INFORMATION (bank
account number, social security number, eBay/PayPal info, etc.)
- AVOID DEALS INVOLVING SHIPPING OR ESCROW SERVICES
and know that ONLY A SCAMMER WILL "GUARANTEE" YOUR
Who should I notify about fraud or scam attempts?
If you suspect that an item posted for sale on DieselTraderOnline.com
may be part of a scam, please email the details to "admin(at)dieseltraderonline.com".
Be sure to include the URL of the ad in your message.
Most scams involve one or more of the following:
- inquiry from someone far away, often in another country
- Western Union, Money Gram, cashier's check, money order,
shipping, escrow service, or a "guarantee"
- inability or refusal to meet face-to-face before consummating
Examples of Scams
1. Someone claims that DieselTraderonline.com will
guarantee a transaction, certify a buyer/seller, OR claims that
DTO will handle or provide protection for a payment.
- These claims are fraudulent, as DTO does not have any role in
- Scammer will often send an official looking email that appears
to come from DTO, offering a guarantee, certifying a seller,
providing payment services -- all such emails are fakes!
2. distant person offers a genuine-looking (but fake)
- you receive an email (examples below) offering to buy your truck
- cashier's check is offered for the sale of your truck...
- value of cashier's check often far exceeds the value of your
truck - scammer offers to "trust" you, and asks you to wire the
balance via money transfer service
- banks will often cash these fake checks AND THEN HOLD YOU
RESPONSIBLE WHEN THE CHECK FAILS TO CLEAR, including criminal
prosecution in some cases!
- scam often involves a 3rd party (shipping agent, business
associate owing buyer money, etc)
3. Someone requests wire service payment via
Western Union or MoneyGram:
- Often claim that an MTCN or confirmation code is needed before
he can withdraw your money - this is FALSE, once you've wired money,
it is GONE.
- Common countries currently include: Nigeria, Romania, United
Kingdom, Ukraine, Spain, Italy, Netherlands - but could be anywhere
- Truck listing may be local, but owner is "travelling" or
"relocating" and needs you to wire money to them abroad
- Deal often seems too good to be true, price is too low... etc
4. distant person offers to send you a money order
and then have you wire money:
- this is ALWAYS a scam, in our experience - the cashier's check
- sometimes accompanies an offer of merchandise, sometimes not
- scammer often asks for your name, address, etc for printing on
the fake check
- deal often seems too good to be true
5. distant seller suggests use of an online escrow
- most online escrow sites are FRAUDULENT, operated by scammers
- for more info, do a google search on "fake
escrow" or "escrow
6. distant seller asks for a partial payment upfront,
after which he will ship the truck
- he says he trusts you with the partial payment
- he may say he has already shipped the truck
- deal often sounds too good to be true
Actual scam emails sent to craigslist users - (DTO users may see
some of these same emails):
I am selling this car because my
platoon has been sent back to Afganistan and don't want it get old
in my backyard. The price is low because I need to sell it before
November 16th. It has no damage, no scratches or dents, no hidden
defects. It is in immaculate condition, meticulously maintained and
hasn't been involved in any accident...I do have the title , clear,
under my name. The
Denali has 35,000 miles VIN# 1GKEK63U16J138428 .
It is still available for sale if
interested, price as stated in the ad $4,300. The car is in
Baltimore, MD, in case it gets sold I will take care of shipping.
Let me know if you are interested, email back.
First of all I want to thank you for
your interest for my car. I sell it at this price($2,980.00 ) because I
have been divorced recently. Now the car is in my property and as a
woman i don't need it. This car is in excellent
no scratches, flaws or any kind of damage, slightly used in 100% working
and looking conditions and comes with a
From the beginning you have to know
that for the payment I request only secure pay, I prefer the payment to
be done using eBay services. We will use a safe payment method because I
am affiliated at eBay
and I have a purchase protection account for $20,000.00 The final price
that I want for this car is $2,980.00 including shipping and handling.
If you are interested in buying it please provide me your full name and
address so I can initiate the deal through eBay.
I will wait your answer very soon.
> Thanks for your mail,Since the cost of your bike is $800 i just contacted
my client about the cost of your bike and it present condition and he said
there is no problem about that.So my client said he will be issuing you a
Certified Check of $4000 while you wire 3000 to me through Western Union
Money Trasfer and you deduct the cost of your bike $800 and keep the
remaining $200 which my client said you should take for the terms of
Transaction and Agreement between you and my client.So i will like you to
send me your full contact information to where my client will be sending you
> the Certified Check like this:
> full address.............
> cell/office/home phone number.......................
> I will look forward to the requested information as soon as possible so
that the check can be sent out to you immediately And do get back to me
with the Pics of the bike so tha! t my client will be Able to see What he
is paying off.Get back to me immediately. Looking torwards your
> Best Regards.
Please be aware that we at
DieselTraderOnline.com are trying to fight this battle as best
we can but some fraudulent ads always seem to slip through the
cracks. We need your help by notifying us of any
suspicious ads. It's better to be safe than sorry.
Thank you for your trust in us and your